Tuesday, March 15, 2011

We haven't completed on the house purchase yet - and now I'm wondering if it would be the right thing to do. We have until the end of this month to complete - so there's still some time and we shall see.

With the earthquake shaking our world in Japan on Friday afternoon, followed by the developing difficulties at the Fukushima powerplant I can't help wondering how dire consequences for the Japanese economy can now be avoided.

In the 12 years I've been in Japan, altthough I've felt some fairly large earthquakes, none of them have been as long in duration (Close to 3 minutes in Oyama-Cho, Shizuoka), nor had anywhere near as many aftershocks (Now well over 300, when usually there's perhaps 1-4 at most).

Watching events unfold here, is very saddening. As if the earthquakes haven't caused enough grief, loss and damage... If this nuclear disaster causes a permanent & very significant health danger it might change Japan forever.

The fuel shortages continue and things are changing fast. Today we have been helping friends leave Tokyo with the loan of our remaining unused cars, organising syphoning of fuel, Yuko's been organising accomodation (Here in Shodoshima) and we're doing our best to offer assistance to those that need it. I fear things may get worse, but we're here to help - I don't see us leaving Shodoshima the time being. God bless the Japanese people.

I love this country and it's people as if it were my own. It makes me so sad to see these events unfold. We're off shortly to stock up on essentials, in case shortages stretch this far away.

No comments:

Post a Comment